Saturday, August 18, 2007

Sorrento and the Road Ahead

So, here it was. My last week of traveling - after 9 weeks of adventures, fun, friends and a little introspection, I was embarking on the end of this journey. And I'll admit, I did not have mixed feelings about returning home. I didn't want to...but knew that I needed to. It's funny, when I started planning the trip, I thought...wow...9 weeks! That's soooo long! But it went by in the blink of an eye, and now it's just a memory....or I should say, a series of outstanding, once in a lifetime, best ever memories. I can't remember a time I've felt so free, so aware and so engaged in the present moment of my life. It's like a rebirth in a way - and I want to hang on to the feeling for as long as I possibly can.

I left Geneva and began my travel down to Naples where I was met by a driver that Fausto had arranged for me. Fausto was waiting for me outside my hotel and therein began 4 days of fun, relaxation and a little romance. There's actually not too much to tell in terms of things I saw or did..because each day was like groundhog day. Begin the day with a run, head off to one beach or another midday, relax and nap in the early evening and go out for a great dinner/drinks at night. And there couldn't have been a more perfect way to end my trip. Fausto was the perfect host, we got along great, enjoyed each other's company, and each learned a little more of each other's language. Thank God for the little English/Italian dictionary - it came with us everywhere! Life was very simple in Sorrento for these four days..and it made me long for a more simple life altogether. In Sorrento, everyone knows each other. I swear Fausto was like the mayor walking down the street saying hi to everyone, but then I realized that everyone said hi to everyone. They all relied on each other, checked in with each other and seemed like one big family. Every night, the whole crew goes to the main square, Piazza Tasso. Every night. And they'll just stand there next to their Vespas and hang out - and talk to each other - and then later on, maybe go to a disco or have a drink or whatever. It was nice. I admit, being there for a short period of time made these simplicities seem very attractive - but I did question how I would deal with this kind of lifestyle day in and day out. Hard to tell - but I might start to get a little antsy. Anyway, it reinforced for me what I kept learning over and over again over these past few months - that life does not need to be complicated to be enjoyed - and in fact, we're all better off if we just simplify a little. In our world, it is truly easier said than done, no doubt.

Anyway, after 4 days, it was time for me to get on a plane and begin my journey home. It was such a sad goodbye. Fausto and I really had a wonderful time together and it seemed really strange to just walk away from that. Plus, I was extra sad knowing that I wasn't off to my next European adventure...but back to a place that would serve me with some big decisions in the coming months.

I traveled through London where I spent the night and then flew back to SFO where I was met by my parents (on the plus side), and some very cold grey weather (BIG downside). We spent the day and evening catching up and the next day it was back to San Francisco and "my life."

So the big question that I keep getting is "what's next?" And my answer is...I really don't know. I'm the kind of person that always has a plan...that always knows what's around the next corner...and right now, I just find it impossible to answer that question. While I was gone I did some major soul searching about where I want to live. Most of you know that I've considered a move to the east coast in the past - and that is still something that I am seriously considering. It's become more and more clear to me that many of the "west coast values" really don't match mine - and I have a feeling that I may be more aligned with the east coast "way". This is not a done deal by any means, and I am going to go spend some time there in September...and explore job opportunities on all fronts - both east and west. I do realize and deeply value the family and friends I have here in the west. And that is something I don't take lightly. So believe me, if I do decide to move it will be because I am STRONGLY pulled in that direction. And I do know that all those I love will always be here for me...and I'll be a short plane ride away. But this is a big decision for me, so I want to take my time in making it and not jump into one thing or another unless I am totally at peace with the decision.

So that's it...Angie's Adventures. Not sure if they are over or just starting....but I do know that I am looking forward to catching up with each of you. Thanks for reading and staying in touch these past few months...I truly love you all!

No comments: