Sunday, June 17, 2007

Erin Go Bragh

Well I've been in Europe for two weeks now, so I apologize for this being the first time I've updated my blog. I'll admit, it's not easy to sit in front of a computer when Europe is right outside the door, but I promise I will do my best to keep you all updated...

I arrived in Ireland on June 6th and met up with my friend Amy who I will be travling with for the next month, and our Irish friend George who now lives in Dublin. Amy and George and I all worked at The Sports Club / LA together, and all left within the last 6 months, and have all spent or will spent at least 2 months traveling before getting back to work. I guess SCLA can do that to you. George was the perfect Irish host and literally made me feel right at home. We spent a day rambling around Dublin before Amy and I hit the road to explore Southwest Ireland in our little black VW Polo. Oh - and just a reminder to all you Yanks...the Irish drive on the other side of the road...and actually that would be a stretch, becuase what they really do is drive right in the middle of the street and swerve out of the way just before hitting you head on. I give Amy a huge amount of credit for attacking the driving in Ireland...and although I only had a couple of branches come inside my left window, she did a great job of keeping us alive in crazy Ireland.

Our three stops on our 6 day tour were Dingle, Kinsale and Kilkenny. If I could make a couple of general observations about Ireland they would be that 1. it is very green, 2. it is very rural, and 3. the people are very friendly. The Dingle Peninsula was the highlight of the trip - with it's stunning views of the sea contrasted by green rolling hills and sheep wandering right down the same road on which you were driving (see pic below). The first day that we were there, we drove up to a coastal town called Castlegregory and hooked up with a real Irish cowboy, Lawrence, to go horse back riding on the beach. It was difficult to guess his age...I think the sea air gave him a few extra years...but he was roughly 50. So I started asking him some questions...Have you lived in Castlegregory all your life? Have you ever been to the US? Turns out he had never left Castlegregory and never traveled to the US. As we rode our horses along the beach of the Atlantic, I commented that it was mind boggling that Ireland and the US share this ocean. Lawrence said...yes, next stop, New York City! Next stop indeed, but a world away. When I told Lawrence what I would be seeing on my trip, he said that I'd see nearly the whole world before I was done...so interesting how our perpectives are so different. I wouldn't trade my life for anything, but I do have a curious respect for people that lives of such simplicty. Seems we can learn a thing or two from these folks.

Amy and I spent the rest of our day wandering on the beach and then having dinner in a typical Irish pub. As it turned out, we sat next to a French couple from Brittany. They spoke very little english, so my french was put to the test....and, well...I didn't completely suck...at least enough to translate for Amy and get us through about an hour of conversation. My 7th grade French teacher Ms. Forrester would be so proud.

Our next day involved a trip to the Blasket Islands off the farthest west coast of Ireland. Another breathtaking excursion...complete with donkeys, sheep and a local boat driver. Amy and I kept wondering what do all these people do for work....there's literally no industry there. So we asked - and the answer we got was that in the off season, he pulls pints at the local bar...a very healthy part of the Irish culture.

The next day we drove into Kinsale, south of the town of Cork. We stayed there a night and then set off to visit the Blarney Castle and the Kilkenny Castle. Amy and I both kissed the Blarney Stone, which is said to grant all who kiss it the eternal gift of gab....not sure we needed any help in that area. But to do it you have to lay on your back and arch your neck/head down a hole that leads to a 100 foot drop. A little scary to say the least (pic below). Spent the last night in Kilkenny partying with the locals who dedicated some kind of song to us in the pub...easy to be local celebrities when you're from California.

And the next day we said goodbye to Ireland and set off for our next adventure in Rome. Ireland was a great way to start my journey...at home with friends, surrounded by lush greenery, and a place where you can really just sit back and breathe. But the true beauty of Ireland is in the hospitality the Irish people. All you need to do is share a pint with them and you're their best friend...seems like a culture that works for me!

No comments: